Lisa Ellis, Principal
Ms. Ellis’ practice focuses on elder law, probate and estate planning and immigration law. She was drawn to elder law, probate, and estate law while she and her siblings helped her own mother with aging issues and probate her estate. She realized that her years of experience could help clients in the community navigate the probate administration and help them with decisions regarding health, housing and assets. When crafting estate plans, Lisa takes a forward-looking and individualized approach with her clients. She believes that estate planning is important for not only the distribution of property but for well-being of the beneficiaries. She understands that no two estates are the same and every person deserves to be treated with kindness and respect. Lisa has strong ties to this community, She grew up on the Eastside, and lived in Seattle before moving back to her hometown.
Lisa began her legal career twenty years ago as an attorney advisor for the U.S. Department of Justice, Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR), a position she entered through the U.S. Attorney General’s Honor Program. Following a federal judicial clerkship with the Honorable Robert H. Whaley in the U.S. District Court of the Eastern District of Washington, she was an associate at a small firm in downtown Seattle before starting her firm in 2013. She is a frequent speaker at national and regional conferences. Ms. Ellis has co-authored several peer-reviewed articles and is the author of Visa Solutions for International Students, Scholars, and Sponsors: What You Need to Know (Quick Prep) (Thomson Reuters/Aspatore 2012 Ed.).
- B.A. Whitman College, 1993
- J.D. University of Oregon School of Law, 2000- Executive Editor for The Oregon Law Review
Bar and Court Admissions
- Supreme Court of Washington, 2000
- U.S. District Court for the Ninth Circuit of Washington
- U.S. District Court of the Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
Professional & Community
- National Association of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA) Member
- Community educator, Alzheimer Association of Washington
- American Immigration Lawyer’s Association (AILA); Two-term Chair National Board of Publications, Annual Conference Committee, Distance Learning Committee
- AILA Washington (AILA WA); Executive Committee Member, Vice Chair of Continuing Legal Education Committee, Customs and Border Protection Committee Chair and Consular Committee Chair
- Washington Medical Legal Partnership Panel Attorney
- King County Bar Association, Volunteer Legal Services Attorney Wills Clinic
- King County Bar Association, Immigration Clinic Volunteer Attorney
- Washington State Bar Association, Legislative Committee Member
Honors and Awards
- Washington Super Lawyer’s Rising Stars, 2011
- Top 20 Best Immigration Lawyer in Seattle, WA.
- Top 19 Best Probate Lawyers in Seattle 2020
Yvonne MacGregor, Senior Paralegal
Ms. MacGregor has worked with the firm almost from its inception. Ms. MacGregor assists with will preparation, probate matters, and immigration matters. She provides excellent client service through her exceptional level of experience and skills. She has meticulous attention to detail. Before starting at Ellis Law, Ms. MacGregor worked for several prominent larger law firms in Seattle. Ms. MacGregor’s meticulous attention-to-detail, dedication, and uncompromising commitment to high quality work are an asset to our firm and value to our clients.