425-296-6271 info@lisaellislaw.com


USCIS will now accept DACA first-time, renewal, advanced parole, and extensions

International Students in Jeopardy at Schools Operating Fully Online

Due to COVID-19, the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) instituted temporary exemptions permitting F-1 and M-1 students to take more online courses than the maximum of one class or three credit hours online normally allowed.

This temporary exemption helped students maintain their required full course load when schools and universities shut down their campuses and stopped offering in-person instruction to avoid the spread of the virus.  Many schools have not announced their plans to offer in-person instruction during the fall.

While students are grappling with the uncertainty presented by COVID-19 for attending school in the fall, SEVP announced on July 6, 2020 that it is modifying temporary exemptions for the Fall 2020 Semester.  These modifications create negative immigration consequences for international students attending schools operating entirely online or attending schools that will not re-open in Fall 2020.  SEVP will require actively enrolled students in fully online schools to leave.  Also, ICE and CBP will prevent students from outside the U.S. from attending fully online schools by not issuing visas and permitting entry.

Designated School Officials are required to issue new I-20 forms to each student this fall to certify that the school is not operating entirely online and that the student is not taking an entirely online course load in fall 2020.

This modification has potentially far-reaching effects on international students and SEVP-approved schools.  Please contact us if we can assist you stay in the U.S. or advise your school under this new Temporary Exemption for the Fall 2020 semester.

Coronavirus Hits Hard on Washington Long-Term Care Facilities

According to the Seattle Times, there are at least 137 long-term care facilities with coronavirus cases in our state.  If you are curious which ones are affected, click https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/at-least-137-long-term-care-facilities-in-washington-have-coronavirus-cases/

The coronavirus cases at long-term care facilities impacts spouses, loved ones and families wanting to see their relatives during our stay at home order.  What can be done for those family members of a patient in assisted living to cope during this difficult situation?

  1.  For facilities that do not have coronavirus cases, they may allow visits under special guidelines or precautions.  More specifically, they may allow loved ones to visit if they have been self-isolating for a period of days and not be sick or have a temperature.  The ability to visit will completely depend on the rules of the facility so talk to the administrator to see if this may be possible in your situation.
  2. If you are not allowed to have physical contact with your relative or loved one, reassure them that you will have contact with them in other ways.  As the facility if they can arrange face time calls or zoom meetings to help you connect remotely.
  3. Reach out to your support group at this time.  It is hard to be the person who can’t visit but having more frequent calls with people who care about you can help.  Even short phone calls or face time calls to check on each other’s well-being can be really helpful ways to stay connected.
  4. Go on walks and get outdoors.  We’ve had beautiful weather and getting fresh air every day can uplift your mood.
  5. Plan for what you want to do after the stay at home order is lifted.  Do you want to see friends and family?  Plan what you’d like to do together and talk about it together so you’ll have something to look forward to.
  6. Grocery shop at less crowded times or try to avoid it by having a neighbor, friend, loved one, or grocery delivery service do it for you.  It is not worth going out if you will risk your life.
  7. Do what you brings satisfaction to you.  Whether it is listening to music, watching movies, reading, “tidying up”, gardening or any other work or hobby you can do right now, focus on it and enjoy it.

Estate planning for Singles without Kids

Triggers for starting the estate planning process can come at marriage, divorce, birth of a child and other significant life events.  But what if you are over 18 years old and single (not married and not a registered partner)?  One way to approach the decision of whether you need a will is to look at the intestate laws in your state.  In Washington, it is ?  If you are not happy about how your money and assets would be distributed upon your death, put the creation of a will on your to do list.

Every estate needs a will, advance health care directive, power of attorney, disposition of remains, and ?  Having these documents provides not only you with the capacity to make these decisions for yourself but also save your loved ones from having to make them for you

Selling a Home Privately Can Help Preserve Assets

Real estate agents typically charge 6% of the sale value of the home. In King County, Washington the average price of a home is roughly $627,000.  That is a commission of $37,620 for the realtor and it is separate from the other estate taxes and fees which might be owed on the estate. When selling a home as part of an estate, it helps to know your options.

In the U.S., there is a long history of using realtors to buy and sell homes.  However, private or “off market” sales of homes can be attractive to sellers who are beneficiaries of an estate because realtors are not taking the percentage of the sale.  If you are selling a home in a private sale, your overall transaction fees may be much lower, especially if you are dealing directly with the buyer. A real estate attorney may be able to help you draw up the paperwork once the details of the private sale have been arranged.  The most cost-efficient solution can be to attract the buyer yourself if you know of potentially interested parties.  Other businesses may fill this niche market like gowhisper,com.  More information about the process is available at https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/18/success/private-listings/index.html

Even if you are considering a private sale, you’ll be prudent to find out how much you could get for the house if you put the house on the market.  Realtors who have sold properties in the same neighborhood in the past can be excellent sources of information. They’ll want to work with you even if they know you are considering a private sale because putting a house on the market can generate competition among buyers that a private sale may not.  Getting good advice from a realtor and attorney before a major asset of a house in an estate can help avoid the feeling of buyer’s remorse (no pun intended) later.

Unlimited Marital Tax Deductions and Foreign-Born Spouses

According to the 2013 U.S. Census Bureau Report, “11.4 million married couple households, or 21 percent of all married-couple households in America in 2011, had at least one spouse born in another country.  About 13 percent (7.3 million) of households had two foreign –born spouses, and 7 percent (4.1 million) had one native-born and one native-born and one-foreign born spouse.” Census News Release, CB13-157, Sept. 5, 2013, Census Bureau Reports 21 Percent of Married-Couple Households Have at Least One Foreign-Born Spouse.

Foreign born spouses who are not U.S. citizens spouses face unique estate and tax planning issues.  If you are a U.S. citizen, the United States Federal Estate and Gift Tax Law provides an unlimited marital deduction that allows you to transfer an unrestricted amount of assets to your spouse free from tax at any time, including at your death. By postponing the transfer of taxes on property inherited from each other until the second spouse’s death, there may be some advantages for the surviving spouse, including:

  • The surviving spouse can spend or gift assets transferred under the unlimited marital deduction during his/her lifetime. In some situations, less taxes may be paid by the surviving spouse upon death through estate planning.
  • If the surviving spouse remarries, the unlimited marital deduction may allow the assets to pass to the new spouse without the application of estate and/or gift taxes.

However, if the spouse who is not a U.S. citizen dies, then the unlimited marital deduction does not apply.  The tax consequences upon death for a non-citizen spouse are different for citizen spouses.  Non-citizen spouses may face the burden of becoming eligible for the unlimited marital deduction which is not the case for married couples who are citizens.

When it comes to postponing taxes for married couples after the death of one spouse, our tax law does not treat couples equally.  Married couples who are U.S. citizens will get this benefit yet, a married couple with a non-USC needs to qualify.  Here are some options:

  1. The U.S. currently has treaties with other countries to provide a marital deduction or a credit in lieu of the deduction. See:  https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/estate-gift-tax-treaties-international.  This is often the first place to look to see if a non-citizen spouse can benefit from the unlimited marital deduction.
  2. Alternatively, couples with a non-citizen spouse can qualify if the surviving spouse can become a naturalized citizen before the estate tax return is due, both the deceased and surviving spouse will be citizens and the unlimited estate tax marital deduction should apply. This option requires advance planning.  It may take a year or more to complete the naturalization process under the current administration.  Furthermore, there is a separate set of requirements to become a naturalized U.S. citizen. The last step in the naturalization process is the taking of the Oath, which is required to become a U.S. citizen.
  3. The Qualified Domestic Trust (QDOT) provides another option for non-citizen spouses. QDOT allows the non-citizen surviving spouse to receive the deceased citizen spouse’s property for his or her benefit. Under a QDOT, the federal tax estate liability is deferred until distributions of principal are made to the non-citizen surviving spouse. Upon the death of the non-citizen surviving spouse, remaining assets of the surviving non-citizen spouse are subject to taxation. These distributions are subject to estate tax.

Non-citizen marital couples should be aware of how the unlimited marital deduction may affect them.  Our office also helps non-citizen spouses become eligible through naturalization and citizenship processes.

Protecting Expedited Naturalization Under INA 319(b)

INA 319(b) provides a faster naturalization option for Lawful Permanent Resident spouses who are married to U.S. citizens who work abroad. The physical and continuous residence requirements are waived, allowing applicants who meet the criteria to apply from abroad and without residing in the U.S. before filing the N-400.  If INA 319(b) did not apply, the N-400 physical presence requirements require at least ½ of 5 years (or ½ of 3 years if N-400 applicant is the spouse of a U.S. citizen).  The INA 319(b) benefit applies to lawful permanent residents in the following limited circumstances: their U.S. citizen spouse works abroad for the U.S. government, a public international organization if the U.S. participates by treaty or statute, an American research organization recognized by DHS, a religious organization doing missionary work, or an American firm developing foreign trade and U.S. commerce.  The INA 319(b) remains a very helpful benefit for eligible lawful permanent residents who are otherwise eligible to naturalize but would do not meet either the physical presence or continuous physical presence requirements, or both.

Recent USCIS changes to processing of INA 319(b) cases are making it more challenging to obtain timely expedited naturalization 319(b) approvals . The recent developments are (1) USCIS is phasing out Infopass appointments at local offices and (2) there are currently exceptionally long processing times for N-400 cases. The phase out of Infopass appointments limits the ability to communicate with USCIS about the case which may keep applicants and their attorneys from confirming that USCIS received an interfiled 319(b). When seeking to expedite a 319(b) case, the N-400 with 319(b) should be filed concurrently rather than as an interfiling.  If the 319(b) case is filed as an interfiling, USCIS will not send a Receipt Notice or have a different way to confirm receipt even if the 319(b) interfiling is later transferred to the local office.   And, perhaps most importantly, the case will not be expedited.  Instead, it be processed under the normal processing time at USCIS which can be very lengthy.  It is also important to request an expedited oath to strive to lessen the time span between the N-400 interview and oath, particularly if the applicant is regularly stationed abroad or has a fixed deadline to begin work for a qualifying employer abroad.


Opening Your First Estate Account

After you get your Letters of Administration as the Administrator or Executor of the Estate, you will need to set up a separate checking account for the estate with a banker.  When ordering checks, consider that the expenses will not be ongoing.  You’ll need enough checks to pay for funeral expenses, taxes, professional fees, reimbursements, other expenses associated with the winding up of the estate.  Ordering four books of checks should be plenty even for a large estate.

You have a lot of flexibility about which bank to open the account. To keep your learning curve to a minimum, however, you may want to consider using the bank branch you normally use for your personal banking.  Having already established a personal relationship with bankers and tellers can be an advantage to you when you have questions about your balance and when making transactions.

You should bring the following with you so the banker can set up the account:

EIN number. To apply online, click https://sa.www4.irs.gov/modiein/individual/index.jsp.  (This is the fastest method.)
Original Letters of Administration
Death Certificate

This account will need to stay open for the duration of the probate which means until taxes are paid and property is distributed.  You will use this account to pay bills for the estate and the statements generated by the bank will provide records for the estate taxes, if any, and for accounting to the beneficiaries.  You will also use this account to make any deposits such as cash, refunds, and bank transfers.  If you are considering investing the estate funds, you should contact a qualified financial planner and your estate attorney before doing so.

Trend Towards More Scrutiny at U.S. Borders and Consulates

Scrutiny at the border and consulates is tighter following Trump’s revised travel ban. Foreign travelers can expect detailed questions about their backgrounds. For those travelers who were present in an area when it was controlled by an Islamic State (ISIS), the traveler may have a social media check in addition to their consular interview in order to determine any possible ties to ISIS or other terrorist groups.

In particular, business travelers on U.S. work visas and persons traveling without a visa under the U.S. Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) can now expect increased scrutiny when entering the U.S. The increase in scrutiny on consular processing and border inspections has made it more difficult to get a visa and also to enter the U.S. as quickly as once possible.

Our firm provides robust services in assisting clients with both consular processing and border entry. Please contact us.

A New Legal Framework for the National Interest Waiver

Immigrant visas under the EB-2 category are available to qualified immigrants who are professionals holding advanced degrees or their equivalent or because of their exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, or business, will substantially benefit the national economy, cultural or educational interests or the United States. Unless waived, the foreign national must be employed by a U.S. employer and have a U.S. job offer and have met the labor certification requirement that demonstrates that the Department of Labor has determined that there are not sufficient workers who are willing, qualified, and available.

The decision in Matter of Dhanasar establishes a new legal framework for the National Interest Waiver. Under the new National Interest Waiver framework, USCIS may, in its discretion, grant a national interest waiver if the petitioner establishes by a preponderance of the evidence that

  • the foreign national’s proposed endeavor has both substantial merit and national importance;
  • that the foreign national is well positioned to advance the proposed endeavor; and
  • that it would be beneficial for the U.S. to waive the requirements of a job offer and labor certification

Under the first criteria, proposed endeavor has national importance, the Dhanasar Court decided to consider and assess endeavors in terms of “national importance” rather than “national in scope”. For the second criteria, the Court focused on whether the foreign national is well positioned to advance the proposed endeavor. Under the third criteria, the petitioner must demonstrate that it would be beneficial to the U.S. to waive the job offer and labor certification requirements.

The old National Interest Waiver framework was issued in the 1998 decision Matter of New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT). Under NYSDOT framework, a petitioner must show that the area of employment is of “substantial intrinsic merit”, any proposed benefit of the individual’s endeavors will be national in scope and the petitioner must demonstrate that the national interest would be adversely affected if a labor certification were required for the foreign national.

Matter of Dhanasar has modernized the National Interest Waiver framework under NYSDOT. I think we will see that the new National Interest Waiver is more applicable for the foreign national professionals, industries and technology of today.

Lawful Permanent Residents Living Abroad

The recent Executive Orders issued by President Trump have created very high levels uncertainty for so many immigrants, even those not from the seven countries subject to the current travel ban. The term “lawful permanent resident” seems like a permanent status but it now it is more important than ever for lawful permanent residents (LPR) to understand when they may be subject to removal from the U.S. for abandonment and how it may be avoided when traveling abroad.

For purposes of naturalization eligibility, temporary or brief travel usually does not affect permanent resident status; however, when traveling as a LPR, if Customs and Border Protection (CBP) determines that there is a need for further questioning upon re-entry, a secondary inspection at the port of entry is required. As a guideline, CBP is accustomed to asking for evidence of the lawful permanent resident’s status and ties to the U.S. from the traveler. This information can be hard for the returning lawful permanent residents who spend a lot of time outside the U.S. and particularly if not prepared before arrival to the U.S. to demonstrate that they have no intention to abandon lawful permanent resident status.

Although only a judge may make an abandonment finding, CBP may have a separate belief that the lawful permanent resident has abandoned his or her residence and try to have the lawful permanent resident sign a statement to relinquish permanent residence, Form I-407, and leave the U.S. CBP may consider any length of absence from the United States, even if less than 180 days. Consult an immigration attorney before you start living and/or working outside the United States for any period of time.